**Groupon coupon link at the bottom of our post.
Tonight we tried a new adventure. We headed down to Provo and took a ride on the Provo River. Clas Ropes runs these cruises, and they actually pull you along in the boat using overhead ropes, which is kind of fun. The Provo River Christmas Cruise takes you on a short section of the river. There are lights along the river and sometimes all the way across. They pull you one way, and then back the other way while Christmas music plays in the background.
We arrived around 6:20, and all of the boats were full until 7:00. The boats run every 15-20 minutes, but luckily they had a movie playing that entertained our children. They also had hot chocolate for sale to help you keep warm. It was a warm night, but we were still layered up in snow clothes. Make sure to dress for cool weather, and bring blankets on extra cold nights.
As you head down to the dock, there are lights lighting the path. Children under 12 are required to wear a life jacket, which they provide for the kids, so you will stop and put life jackets on the little ones. Once everyone is on board, the cruise director will start pulling the boat down the river. It is so interesting that they pull the boat using ropes instead of rowing or some other means.
We had a great cruise director who had us share traditions, and told us the history of Clas Ropes. We also had a quiet moment of reflection as we cruised past the Nativity. The highlight of the trip was when Santa rowed up in a canoe. He high-fived all the kids and left his hat which was full of candy. Our boys were excited to see Santa for the first time this season.
We have wanted to try the Provo River Christmas Cruise for awhile because it is so unique. We have never been on a boat to see Christmas lights. My boys enjoyed the ride–it was their first time on a boat and so that was exciting to them. We paid $5.50 using a Groupon Deal (this deal runs through the 19th of December). The regular price is $8/person ages 3 and older. The ride takes about 20 minutes. It was definitely a different and fun way to see the lights and Santa.
In October, there is a Halloween Cruise and they put jack ‘o’ lanterns all along the river and tell spooky stories. We enjoy this cruise, too!
Check out their website for more info: Clas Ropes Christmas Cruise.
Tips for Families
- Dress warm. Boots, hats, scarves, gloves, and layers.
- Arrive early. They can only take 40 people on a boat, and they fill quickly, so arrive with enough time to get on a boat.
- Buy tickets online beforehand. This way you are guaranteed a spot on the boat when you want to go. We are glad they have added the online option since we last went.
- Bring hot chocolate. We stopped and grabbed hot chocolate at the gas station on the way to the Provo River Cruise, but if you forget bring a few dollars to buy some while you’re waiting. It will keep you warm.
- Current Groupon: $5.50/ticket when you buy a pack of 4 tickets.